Traditional SMS gateway V/S unique Missed Calls.
Mobile number verification
Now a days most of the applications use mobile number verification for their different uses like user identification, Mobile number based activities, Security, Prevents multiple registrations and spam prevention. Mobile number verification is also used to identify the user’s mobile number in the registration process, which will be used for two factor authentication later on web applications. The traditional method used widely for mobile number verification is sending a passcode to the user’s mobile number using a SMS gateway. This is a comparison study in between the traditional SMS gateway method and the Missed call verification method.
- SMS Gateway: In peak hours the SMS get delayed due to the conjunction in the network.
- Cognalys: Voice calls get more priority than SMS and it will be delivered in real time even if it is peak hours.
- SMS Gateway: Even after the SMS gateways deliver the proper message to the user entered number, due to fake online SMS receiving numbers and websites, it is tough to calculate the accuracy of the user’s mobile number. Using proxies for different countries along with fake mobile SMS receiving services will not be easily identified by any web admins.
- Cognalys: Cognalys using missed call method to verify the user’s mobile number and it offers 99.9 % of accuracy.
- SMS Gateway: Most of the cheap SMS gateways works based only on parent country and international SMS gateways are comparatively costly. For example an SMS gateway which serves only one country will cost an average of 0.005 Dollars where an international SMS gateway will cost 0.05 dollars. Thus geography plays an important role in the pricing of the SMS gateways.
- Cognalys: international service which supports 195+ countries without any country based pricing.
- SMS Gateway: SMS gateways charge their users based on the volume of the SMS used. Sometimes users have to try more than one SMS to get verified in the application (conditions like Delay in receiving SMS, Network Conjunction, and Wrong Mobile number entry) and the gateway will charge for all these messages.
- Cognalys: Cognalys offers a fixed volume of verification along with additional user tries (user may try two or three times to get verified) on daily basis. Cognalys offers monthly billing for daily usage based plans instead of total volume of usage, which helps developers to select plans according to their usage every month.
- SMS Gateway: When customer travels abroad, based on operator there will be a restriction on availability of service. In those cases, the user will be denied access to the application and has to go for emergency help desk calls. In most of the countries incoming SMS are chargeable if the user is on roaming. So using SMS gateway in such conditions will be costly for the developer as well as the users.
- Cognalys: As Cognalys is based on missed call method users don’t have to spend anything on the service even if they are on roaming and there are no restrictions for incoming calls for any countries for roaming users.
- SMS Gateway: Most of the mobile devices will not receive SMS in the condition where the SIM card is connected for data network and the data connection is active. Once the data connection is closed the SMS will be received but will be late for the purpose it supposed to be.
- Cognalys: As mentioned above Voice calls get more priority than any other services in the mobile network. The data connection wills automatically dropped when there is an incoming call. Thus missed calls will always be served at time.
- SMS Gateway: As explained above the pricing of the SMS gateways are based upon a lot factors like volume, Geographical factors and number of text used in the messages. Even if go for an international SMS gateway, the Gateways treat users with different country based pricing.
- Cognalys: Cognalys offers free usage to the users as the basic plan includes 500 free international verifications along with 700 user tries( user may try two-three times to get verified) free for every day. The enterprises plans starts from 7 dollar monthly.
Dependency on Government Regulations
- SMS Gateway: In emergency and sensitive situations, governments can dictate blockage of bulk SMS there by affecting the service of SMS based authentication methods. Similar situation has been evidenced in 2010 when government has called for blocking of all bulk SMS during a court hearing on a sensitive subject in India.
- Cognalys: As Cognalys is using only missed calls for the service, there is no restriction on calls and missed calls in any emergency situations raised by governments. So at any emergency or sensitive situations Cognalys service will be continues as that of normal days.
for more details log in to : www.cognalys.com.